A thorough exploration of Fair Housing compliance, delivered live online
Fair Housing laws are a minefield if you don't know your way around. One little mistake – unintentional though it may be – can put you and your management company in hot water. If you are involved in any way with rental housing, you need to be prepared to avoid running afoul of Fair Housing rules.
Fair Housing Specialist (FHS) is an online certification course that will equip you with the knowledge and understanding you need to steer clear of Fair Housing violations. FHS is delivered in three-hour modules over three consecutive days; participants have one week to complete the online certification exam.
What you’ll learn:
The curriculum of Fair Housing Specialist is rooted in the regulations of the two major Fair Housing laws, the Fair Housing Act (Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. In addition we cover the Americans with Disabilities Act and its application at apartment communities. This course is designed to go a step further than our Fair Housing Essentials (FHE) course covering not just the basic dos and don’ts, but also the specific details of each law and how to look at each policy, practice and procedure at your housing community with a Fair Housing eye.
Areas of focus:
Download FHS course description
- The basic concepts of Fair Housing: who is protected under federal law, how state laws can impact this, and who is exempt from the Act
- What types of communities are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the additional requirements this Act brings
- What a Section 504 coordinator is, who is required to have one, and what it entails
- How to treat Assistance Animals in housing communities and who is eligible to bring an assistance animal on the property
- What the requirements are under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- What the Fair Housing requirements are when advertising your community
- How to handle Reasonable Accommodation/Modification requests
- What questions you can ask and shouldn't ask to comply with Fair Housing laws
||Three days, three-hour online session each day
||Online certification exam
||Online training with question and answer sessions
||Housing professionals of every level who are involved in any way with rental housing.