Rural Housing Specialist (RHS) is intended to help students become proficient in occupancy compliance for the Rural Development Multi-Family Housing Programs administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The training covers applicable regulations and guidance in the occupancy of RD multi-family housing, the proper methods and practices for qualifying applicants and recertifying existing residents, and steps needed to successfully maintain compliance. RHS is an online course with live instruction conducted in four sessions over four consecutive days, including classwork quizzes and exercises and homework case studies. Upon completion of the training, participants have one week to take the online certification exam.
What you’ll learn:
- Background on the USDA RD multifamily housing programs
- A thorough review of all components of tenant eligibility
- How to create and maintain a compliant Tenant Selection Plan and establish effective occupancy standards
- How to properly identify and calculate income and assets
- How to correctly apply and calculate deductions to determine adjusted income and appropriate tenant rent calculation
- How to meet program requirements for verifications
- How to conduct annual and interim recertifications to ensure ongoing eligibility