Did you know that not all waiting lists are operated on a first come, first served basis? Congress, HUD and many states have established mandatory waiting list preferences that help to ensure that affordable housing is made available first to those who need it the most. In addition, HUD regulations allow owners to adopt owner preferences to serve specific populations in need.
Join Lisa Vercauteren, Senior Vice President of Compliance Programs, as she guides you through the ins and outs of waiting list preferences.
Participants will learn:
- History of HUD’s use of preferences
- Differences between statutory preferences, regulatory preference and owner-adopted preferences
- Examples of owner-adopted preferences
- HUD’s mandatory Section 8 Income Targeting preference
- Steps to implementing preferences